Wayne State University
Found in 284 Collections and/or Records:
Collection — Box: WSU Small Processed Collections: Box 1, Folder: 2
Abstract A 1939 Beta Sigma Phi Fellowship yearbook includes a history of the Beta Sigma Phi, a list of officers, committees, members, and the constitution and bylaws for the fellowship. Mr. Kutnick received his degree from Colleges of the City of Detroit in 1932, and was a charter member of Beta Sigma Phi, which promoted social fellowship and encouragement of education through research.
Dates: 1937 - 1938
Abstract The Wayne State University American Association of University Professors was formed in 1930. The early activities of the chapter focused on administrative reform and faculty participation in University governance. In May of 1973 WSU AAUP won an election against the Michigan Education Association-affiliated Faculty Association and the WSUFT (Wayne State University Federation of Teachers) to become the faculty collective bargaining representative. Collection materials include records relating to...
Dates: 1940 - 1973
Abstract A founding member of the Detroit Metropolitan Rehabilitation Institute, Dr. Alfred Whittaker practiced medicine at several Detroit hospitals and was active in various metropolitan Detroit organizations, serving as a president of Future Detroit Inc. Citizens’ Housing and Planning Council and on the Wayne State University Board of Governors. Dr. Whittaker’s papers relate to his work with Future Detroit Inc.
Dates: 1940 - 1954
Abstract Dr. Jennings served as Clinical Assistant to the Chair of Medicine at the Detroit College of Medicine in the early 1900s. The Jennings collection consists of a scrapbook that details the Detroit Water Pollution Controversy of 1914. Subjects such as Detroit’s water supply, and its effect on public health, water purification and filtration crusade to reduce the city’s typhoid rate are included in the collection.
Collection — Box: WSU Small Processed Collections: Box 1, Folder: 3
Abstract The collection includes student papers, two to three pages in length, covering a wide variety of topics, all written by Turgeon as a student in Professor Van Horn’s English II, circa 1931. Turgeon received his Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees from Wayne University, completing his graduate education of University of Michigan. He taught French at Wayne from the mid-1930’s until 1958.
Abstract The Association of Urban Universities was founded in 1914. The Association promoted the study of problems of particular interest to urban universities, including adult education, community service of an urban university, and university extension. Its principal activity was an annual Fall meeting. At these meetings, topics of particular concern to urban universities were discussed by the delegates and these discussions were published in the Proceedings following the meeting. The Association also...
Dates: 1916 - 1969
Abstract The papers of Boaz Siegel, a faculty member of the Wayne University Law School for over 30 years, consist primarily of meeting minutes and agendas for the Council of Deans, the University Council, and the Faculty Affairs Committee of the University Council. Also included are correspondence and miscellaneous materials pertaining to these organizations. Boaz Siegel served as Acting Secretary of the Faculty Affairs Committee of the University Council beginning in 1949, succeeding the former...
Dates: 1947 - 1950
Abstract Bonnie Lee Moss Rattner wrote a stage adaptation of Zora Neale Hurston's novel, "Their Eyes Were Watching God," as her master's thesis while earning a Master of Arts degree in English at Wayne State University. After obtaining the stage rights for the novel, the play "To Gleam It Around, To Show My Shine" was first performed in 1983 at Wayne State's Hilberry Theater. "To Gleam" and other works by Rattner have been produced in several theaters, mostly on the East Coast. Rattner worked as an...
Dates: 1961 - 2015
Abstract Burt Russell Shurly was born in Chicago on July 4, 1871. After receiving his preliminary education at Northwestern Military Academy in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin, Shurly graduated with a B.S. from the University of Wisconsin in 1894 and an M.D. from the Detroit College of Medicine in 1895. He interned at Harper Hospital in Detroit and then began the practice of medicine in association with his uncle, Ernest L. Shurly, with an initial focus on tuberculosis. He later focussed on diseases of the eye,...
Dates: 1823 - 1950; Majority of material found within 1914 - 1945
Abstract Dr. C. Henri Leonard, born in 1850, was Professor of Medical and Surgical Diseases of Women and Clinical Gynecology at the Michigan College of Medicine from 1879 until it merged with the Detroit College of Medicine in 1883, and at the Detroit College of Medicine through the early 1900s. The collection consists of a scrapbook that covers the time period from 1878 to 1898. Materials include faculty by-laws, clippings, course bulletin, lecture cards, commencement invitations, programs, examination...
Dates: 1879 - 1907
Abstract Central High School was originally located at the intersection of Warren Avenue and Cass Avenue in Detroit. It was the successor to Capitol High School, the first high school in Detroit, founded in 1858; Capitol changed its name to Central in 1896. CHS began to offer college courses in 1913, and this program evolved into the Detroit Junior College, which became the City College of Detroit, then Wayne University and eventually Wayne State University. In 1925, CHS relocated to 2425 Tuxedo Street...
Dates: 1860 - 2004; Majority of material found within 1891 - 2004
Abstract Born in 1869 in Indiana, Charles Spain earned his degrees from University of Michigan, completing his Ph.D. in Philosophy in 1923. He began his education career in the public schools of Grand Rapids, serving as teacher and principal. He transferred to the Detroit Public School system in 1901 as vice principal of the Washington Normal School, and became principal in 1902. Promoted to supervisor of primary grades in 1906, Spain was responsible for curriculum reorganization and administration in...
Dates: 1919 - 1944
Abstract Frank Cody invited Wilford Coffey to become the Dean of the College of the City of Detroit in February 1928. During these years, CCD consolidated with Detroit Teachers College, cooperated more closely with the College of Medicine, and the Detroit Law School. He oversaw the launch of both the new Nursing School and Graduate School.
Dates: 1928 - 1933
Abstract Dr. Cornelius Golightly was an Associate Dean and professor at Wayne State University's Philosophy Department. Golightly's papers document his time at several institutions, his work in the philosophy field, as well as his involvement with several school boards, including Milwaukee and Detroit. This collection primarily contains draft manuscripts, classroom notes and instructions, correspondence, brochures, and acknowledgements. Additional materials include three folders of photographs and one...
Dates: 1935 - 1994; Majority of material found within 1944 - 1976
Abstract The Dan Trivich Papers consist of the office files of Dan Trivich (1916-1983), Professor of Chemistry at Wayne State University. Professor Trivich earned a B.A. (1938) and a Ph.D. (1942) in Chemistry, both from Ohio State University; he began work at Wayne University in 1948, as an instructor, and was appointed Professor in 1957. His research work involved the conversion of solar energy through the use of photovoltaic cells. This collection includes correspondence, meeting minutes, manuscripts,...
Dates: 1954 - 1980
Abstract Between 1975 and 1976, Nancy Terner Golinko conducted interviews with Detroit-area dance instructors as research for her master's thesis entitled "The Growth and Development of the Modern Dance Curriculum at the Secondary Level, Detroit Public Schools, 1925-1969." Collection consists of transcripts of five oral history interviews with dance educators active circa 1925-1969 in the Detroit Public Schools and at Wayne State University. The selected dance educators represent artistic philosophies,...
Dates: 1975 - 1976
Abstract David Herreshoff, an English professor at Wayne State University, was interested in the issue of workers in America. His papers reflect his research on organizations and issues involved in the 'New Left' movement of the 1960s.
Dates: 1959 - 1971
Abstract Born in Detroit’s Corktown in 1860, David Mackenzie attended Detroit’s Capital High School, graduating from University of Michigan in 1881. He served as superintendent of schools in Flint, Michigan in 1888, then transferred to Muskegon, Michigan in 1892, accepting the position of principal of Detroit Central High School in 1903. It was Mackenzie who enabled a one-year college level premedical curriculum to be offered in 1913 at Central High School, making it possible for Detroit students to...
Dates: 1882 - 1926
Collection — Box: WSU Small Processed Collections: Box 5, Folder: 5
Abstract Dr. Parker, an 1883 graduate of the Medical College of the University of Michigan, began teaching Materia Medica and therapeutics at the Detroit College of Medicine in 1906, and continued until the 1930s. Dr. Parker served as surgeon to the Michigan Naval Brigade and assistant surgeon, U.S. Navy, during the Spanish-American War.The collection includes a prescription book from the United States Army Medical Department, dated 1898. The prescriptions involve Camp Wilsoff located in...
Abstract Detroit Adventure was a coalition of arts organizations formed in 1959 to promote cultural conversation and experience in the greater Detroit area. In its 21 years of operation, Detroit Adventure served many functions in the pursuit of its mission: to organize, coordinate, and promote the fine arts in the Metro Detroit region. Detroit Adventure was initially a collaboration between Wayne State University, the Detroit Institute of Arts, and the Detroit Public Library. The coalition eventually...
Dates: 1959 - 1980
Abstract The Detroit Board of Education/Detroit Public Schools Collection documents the administration, fiscal operation, personnel, publications, activities, programs and services of Detroit schools. To a lesser degree it documents professional organizations and citizens committees concerned with the Detroit Schools.
Dates: 1869 - 1980; Majority of material found within 1920 - 1965
Abstract Scrapbook of Detroit College of Medicine Pharmacy Department. Contains material dated 1890-1934, including minutes, announcements, correspondence, grades and records.
Dates: 1890 - 1934; Majority of material found within 1890 - 1904
Collection — Box: WSU Small Processed Collections: Box 4, Folder: 2
Abstract Originally known as the Detroit Chemistry Teachers Association, this collection provides a constitution, experiment outlines, financial records dated 1915-16, and minutes of the association from 1912-1916. The collection includes a tribute to Charles Francis Adams.
Dates: 1912 - 1916
Abstract Organized in 1947 by a group of local surgeons, the purpose of this association was to further resident surgical training in area hospitals. Lectures were given on surgical topics followed by a discussion. In 1949, the association began presenting an honorary medal to lecturers. The title, Theodore McGraw Lecturer as well as a bronze medal to commemorate the occasion were presented to the lecturer. Abstracts of papers presented are contained in the collection.
Dates: 1947 - 1975