Skip to main content

Grace Hospital Women's Auxiliary Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR002645

Scope and Content

The papers of the Women's Auxiliary are predominantly meeting minutes. Records were also kept on the finances of the gift shops and on the volunteer hours of the members.

Important subjects covered in the collection are: Diabetic camps for children Hospitals-History Voluntarism Women-Societies and clubs Women volunteers in social service

Among the important correspondents are: Mrs. Mado Lie Dr. Frederick Hyde Mrs. Georgie Stiefel Dr. George Cartwell Dr. Roger Debusk

Series Description: Series I, Administrative files of Women's Auxiliary, 1939 -1983, Boxes 1-8: Auditor reports, by-laws, financial reports, incorporation documentation, membership lists, minutes of Board, Regular and Special meetings, newspaper clippings, nursing support report, procedures, volunteer hour reports, yearbooks.

Series II, Correspondence, Flyers, Invitations, Newsletters, and Newspaper clippings, 1940-1980, Box 8-9: Correspondence to and from various organization leaders. Flyers of many of the Auxiliary activities. Invitations to conferences and meetings. Newsletters from American Hospital Association, Grace Hospital, and the Michigan Association of Hospital Auxiliaries. Newspaper clippings provide valuable information on the social and cultural context that the Auxiliary has existed in. Newspaper photos also allow the researcher to associate the person with the work being accomplished in the Auxiliary.

Series III, Special Projects, 1940-1979, Box 9-10: Subseries A: Administrative files of Diabetic Children's Camp, 1940-1953, Box 9- 10, correspondences, camper lists, financial reports, and nurse's log.

Subseries B: Chapel Fund, 1961-1979, Box 10, construction plans, correspondences, dedication program, donation letters, financial reports, and tax statements regarding fund-raising and building of the Northwest Unit Chapel.

Dates

  • 1939 - 1983
  • Majority of material found within 1942 - 1977

Creator

Language of Materials

Material entirely in English.

Access

Collection is open for research.

Use

Refer to the Walter P. Reuther Library Rules for Use of Archival Materials.

History

The Women's Auxiliary was formed in 1939, by retired nurses in order to promote Grace Hospital and to conduct charitable work. It was incorporated in November, 1942. The group was extended to women who expressed a sincere desire to promote the hospital. In 1978, the by-laws were changed to allow men to join the auxiliary.

The work of the auxiliary has spanned from sewing projects during World War II to the management of the Grace Hospital Diabetic Camp for children. Throughout its history, the auxiliary has contributed over $68,000 to nursing scholarships and continue to present $7500 each year as well as funding for continuing nursing education. The auxiliary engages in many charitable activities and is very active in fundraising for the hospital.

Extent

5 Linear Feet (10 MB)

Abstract

Subjects include: women volunteers in social service; Diabetic Children's Camp

Arrangement

Arranged in 3 series – Series 1 (Boxes 1-8), Series 2 (Boxes 8-9), and Series 3 (Boxes 9-10). Folders are arranged chronologically, by subject.

Series 3 is further divided into two subseries.

Acquisition

The papers of the Women's Auxiliary were placed in the Archives of Labor and Urban Affairs in January, 1988 as part of the Grace Hospital Collection.

Related Materials

Grace Hospital Records

Transfers

Ten photographs from the Diabetic Children's Camp and 3 photographs from the general collection have been placed in the Archives Audiovisual Collection. Three pieces of hand-blown stain glass from the Northwest Unit Chapel have been placed in the Archives Audiovisual Collection.

Processing History

Processed and finding aid written by Walter P. Reuther Library in December, 1994.
Title
Guide to the Grace Hospital Women's Auxiliary Records
Status
Completed
Author
Processed by Walter P. Reuther Library.
Date
1994-12
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
English

Repository Details

Part of the Walter P. Reuther Library Repository

Contact:
5401 Cass Avenue
Detroit MI 48202 USA