Skip to main content

McGregor Fund Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR002635

Scope and Content

This collection consists of copies of the deeds of gift that established the Fund; its bylaws, articles and amendments; and information on a number of its projects. Minutes and a scrapbook from the McGregor Institute are also included, as is a large amount of biographical information relating to Tracy McGregor in particular, the McGregor family more broadly, and other prominent Detroit philanthropists.

Dates

  • 1893 - 2003
  • Majority of material found within 1925 - 1955

Creator

Language of Materials

Material entirely in English.

Access

Collection is open for research.

Use

Refer to the Walter P. Reuther Library Rules for Use of Archival Materials. Restrictions: Researchers may encounter records of a sensitive nature – personnel files, case records and those involving investigations, legal and other private matters. Privacy laws and restrictions imposed by the Library prohibit the use of names and other personal information which might identify an individual, except with written permission from the Director and/or the donor.

History

Tracy W. and Katherine McGregor established the McGregor fund in 1925 in order to ensure that their financial resources would continue to be used for social, educational, and charitable programs. Both of the McGregors were lifelong philanthropists, with Tracy heading a mission for the homeless from 1891 to 1936 and Katherine volunteering at numerous organizations, establishing an orphanage and facility for the aid of young mothers, and donating extensively to a number of local charities. They established the McGregor Fund to act as a grant making organization with priorities including higher education, youth services, health care and science.

Extent

1.5 Linear Feet (1.5 MB, 1 OS)

Abstract

Tracy W. and Katherine McGregor established the McGregor fund in 1925 in order to ensure that their financial resources would continue to be used for social, educational, and charitable programs. Both of the McGregors were lifelong philanthropists, with Tracy heading a mission for the homeless from 1891 to 1936 and Katherine volunteering at numerous organizations, establishing an orphanage and facility for the aid of young mothers, and donating extensively to a number of local charities. They established the McGregor Fund to act as a grant making organization with priorities including higher education, youth services, health care and science.

This collection consists of copies of the deeds of gift that established the Fund; its bylaws, articles and amendments; and information on a number of its projects. Minutes and a scrapbook from the McGregor Institute are also included, as is a large amount of biographical information relating to Tracy McGregor in particular, the McGregor family more broadly, and other prominent Detroit philanthropists.

Arrangement

Folders are listed by their location within each box. They are not necessarily arranged, so any given subject may be dispersed throughout the entire collection.

Acquisition

The records were compiled and donated by Phil Mason.

Related Materials

Tracy W. McGregor Papers

Transfers

1 MB of photographs was transfered to the Reuther Library Audiovisual Department.

Processing History

Processed and finding aid written by Kris Kniffen on December 23, 2015.
Title
Guide to the McGregor Fund Records
Status
Completed
Author
Processed by Kris Kniffen.
Date
2015-12-23
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
English

Repository Details

Part of the Walter P. Reuther Library Repository

Contact:
5401 Cass Avenue
Detroit MI 48202 USA