Skip to main content

Volunteer workers in social service

 Subject
Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings

Found in 5 Collections and/or Records:

ARISE Detroit! Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR002494
Abstract ARISE Detroit! is a non-profit coalition of twenty-two community groups with the mission of encouraging volunteerism in order to tackle major issues troubling the Detroit community. This collection includes administrative materials, news clippings, and advertising materials for the organizations’ special events.
Dates: 2005 - 2015

JCA: National Council of Jewish Women, Greater Detroit Section Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR001647
Abstract In 1925, the Jewish Woman's Club of Detroit affiliated with the National Council of Jewish Women (NCJW, established in 1893) and became the National Council of Jewish Women, Detroit Section (now Greater Detroit Section). The group’s philanthropic mission remained to “promote kindness and helpfulness in general and to elevate the mental, moral and social status of young Jewish women in particular.” Over many decades NCJW-GDS has implemented many programs for child and family welfare. The...
Dates: 1891 - 2004

JCA: Sinai Hospital Guild Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR001748
Abstract Sinai Hospital Guild was a Women's Auxiliary, established in 1952 by the hospital's board of trustees, made up of women from several Jewish community organizations around Detroit. Their focus was to establish and train a corps of volunteer who would assist in patient, clerical, and general hospital support. Their records document their activities until Sinai Hospital was closed in 2000.
Dates: 1952 - 2000

United Community Services Communications Department Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR002493
Abstract The United Community Services of Metropolitan Detroit has its origins in the establishment of the Detroit Community Union in 1917. The Union was reorganized into the Council of Social Agencies of Metropolitan Detroit in 1932, and merged with the Detroit Community Chest in 1951 to become the United Community Services (UCS). UCS operated alongside the United Way for Southeastern Michigan (United Foundation until 1989), which was primarily a fundraising organization. They merged to form the United...
Dates: 1928 - 1992; Majority of material found within 1947 - 1984

United Community Services Community Information Service Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR002488
Abstract The United Community Services of Metropolitan Detroit has its origins in the establishment of the Detroit Community Union in 1917. The Union was reorganized into the Council of Social Agencies of Metropolitan Detroit in 1932, and merged with the Detroit Community Chest in 1951 to become the United Community Services (UCS). UCS operated alongside the United Way for Southeastern Michigan (United Foundation until 1989), which was primarily a fundraising organization. They merged to form the United...
Dates: 1928 - 1986; Majority of material found within 1950 - 1985