Wayne County (Mich.)
Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 7 Collections and/or Records:
Folklore Archive: Student Field Projects Oral Histories
Abstract The Folklore Archive, established in 1939 by WSU English professors Emlyn Gardner and Thelma James, contains the oldest and largest record of urban folk traditions in the United States. To document these traditions, Wayne State University students conducted field research projects that included oral history interviews. Collection consists of audio recordings of 55 interviews (or aggregations of multiple interviews on a single topic) conducted by student interviewer-collectors, some of which,...
Dates: 1961 - 1989; Majority of material found within 1968 - 1971
Marion Fairbairn Harriet M. Scott Memorial Window Papers
Abstract In 1907 the Detroit Normal School Alumni Association planned a memorial for Harriet Scott. The memorial would be in the form of a stained glass window portraying the components of “teaching, knowledge, and education” and donations were raised starting in 1908. 283 individuals donated for a total of $863 including $200 from the Alumni Association. In 1910 it was decided the Church Glass and Decorating Company of New York would create the window, with a design from artist Charles Caryl Coleman....
Dates: 1908 - 2008; Majority of material found within 1908 - 1918
Roman Gribbs Oral History
Abstract In August-September 2004, labor historian Mike Smith conducted a series of three interviews with former Detroit mayor Roman Gribbs. Collection consists of recordings and transcripts for a series of three interviews. Gribbs discusses his background, education, and early career in law and law enforcement, including his time as sheriff of Wayne County following the 1967 civil unrest, and his time as mayor, from 1970 to 1974.
Dates: 2004-08-07 - 2004-09-17
Found in: Walter P. Reuther Library / Roman Gribbs Oral History
Wade H. McCree, Jr. Papers
Abstract Wade Hampton McCree, Jr. began his career as a lawyer in the Detroit law firm of Harold E. Bledsoe and Hobart Taylor. He later served on the state’s Workmen’s Compensation Commission and as a judge in the county and U.S. court system. During his tenure on the bench, McCree took part in a number of school desegregation cases iand as the government’s lawyer, he argued a number of significant cases before the Supreme Court. He resigned in 1977 to accept appointment as U.S. Solicitor General in the...
Dates: 1937 - 2000; Majority of material found within 1954 - 1987
Found in: Walter P. Reuther Library / Wade H. McCree, Jr. Papers
Wayne Regional Educational Service Agency Records
Abstract Wayne Regional Educational Service Agency (RESA), an organization originally known as Wayne Intermediate School District, provides services to the 33 school districts within Wayne County with the aims of improving student achievement, staff development, purchasing, and administrative services.The Wayne RESA Records collection contains mostly historic material on Wayne County public schools including manuals, school directories, and financial and statistical information. Some early...
Dates: 1900 - 1986
Wayne State University Foreign Student Advising Office Director's Records
Abstract By 1965, 413 foreign students from over 45 countries were enrolled at Wayne State University; the university established the Foreign Student Advising Office for the benefit of these students. Virgil R. Lougheed directed this office from 1952 until his retirement in 1973. In addition to advising foreign students he also coordinated religious activities for foreign students. He was a member of the National Association for Foreign Student Affairs. Materials in the Foreign Student Advisor Records...
Dates: 1951 - 1967; Majority of material found within 1964 - 1966
WWJ / WDIV Film, Video, and Teleprompter Scripts
Abstract WDIV began as WWDT in March of 1947 as the first television station in Michigan and the sixth in the United States. It was owed by the Evening News Association which also owned the Detroit News newspaper and Detroit’s WWJ Radio. WWJ Radio was originally part of the National Broadcasting Company’s NBC Radio Network and is the reason why the current television station is still an NBC affiliate. In May of 1947, to match the radio station’s call letters, WWDT changed its call letters to WWJ. Less...
Dates: 1920-2011; Majority of material found within 1947 - 1978